Frick’s Locks is located in the East Coventry Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Coal was discovered in the region around Barclay in the 1850s. Today the site of the Pennsylvania ghost town site of Barclay is located in the Franklin Township of Bradford County. Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company Inactive Employment Record Cards, 1913-1965, Manuscript Group 311, Series 18 (2 boxes) 2. This led to the growth of a town around the mill. By 1870 oil production the area had begun to decline, there were also discoveries of oil in several other places which coupled with the frequent fires most of the residents begun to move away. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_debug = "false"; Today only seven residents remain in town. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "raregold-20"; Anyone can join, and you decide how much time you’ll contribute - as little as 15 minutes helps. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; Coal mining in Centralia began in 1856 when the Coal Ridge Mine and the Locust Run Mine were opened. Rae then named his new town Centreville but was forced to change the name to Centralia in 1865 because the Centreville name had already been registered with the U.S. Post office for a settlement in Schuylkill County. Collier, Pennsylvania, looking south along one of its streets, July 23, 1912. The town was established as a lumber town in 1905. The Susquehanna and New York Railroad tracks and bridges and foundations of several structures can still be seen at the site. To browse this image set, select from the options below. The cards may list name, marital status, occupation, birth date, record date, residence, spouse, nationality, number of children and their ages, citizenship, date range for jobs, who to notify in case of an accident, and pension date. Coal Production Map of 1860, Edward Mueller et. Pennsylvania’s Department of Health started keeping statewide death records on January 1, 1906. Some of the state’s ghost towns were thriving mining towns in the 19th century while several others were built to support lumber activities. Pennsylvania Bituminous and Anthracite Coal Production, 1840 -1950. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; At its peak, the town boasted of a bank, two theater houses, a post office, five hotels, several general stores, numerous saloons, seven churches and numerous other businesses. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; 1. Today the site of this Pennsylvania ghost town has a visitor center displaying the history of the place and a few foundations of the early structures. Coal Mining in Pennsylvania PA Mining History. These 15 Rare Photos Show Pennsylvania’s Coal Mining History Like Never Before. Bradenville, Pennsylvania. When coal mining in the region diminished in the 1900s, the residents of Barclay moved away in search of greener pastures. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; The Museum also organizes tours to the site of these two Pennsylvania ghost towns. In the 1800s and 1900s, Eastern European immigrants flooded into southwestern Pennsylvania to work in the coal mines and steel mills, and in and around Pittsburgh, neighborhoods swelled with their numbers. With increased coal production Centralia grew rapidly reaching a peak population of about 2,760 people in 1890. Both had been founded in 1818 by Josiah White, Erskine Hazard, and George F. Hauto. Applications can contain other details, including parents’ names, schooling, employment record, birthplace, and height and weight. Chapter 3: Life in the Coal Patches. Next: 6 West Virginia Ghost Towns – Left in the Coal Dust. Tent colony of evicted strikers and their families, Fayette County, PA, 1922.... Coal and Iron policeman, on right, with coal miners, circa 1890. These records include employee cards and applications. "Map Showing Location of the Famous Connellsville Coal Vein," circa 1890. It was however inhibited until the early 1980s when the Philadelphia Electric Company (PECO) built the Limerick Nuclear Power Station across the river. [ 2]. The dates range from 1669-2013. Chapter 2: Working Where the Sun Never Shines, Patch/Work Voices Coal and Coke Heritage Center, Pennsylvania State University, Fayette, Patchwork Voices Project, Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. When logging stopped in 1930 several residents moved away. This created a lot of interest in the mining community leading to the establishment of several mining operations around the area. When coal mining in the region diminished in the 1900s, the residents of Barclay moved away in search of greener pastures. About Pennsylvania, Coal Employment Records, 1900-1954 The Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company (LCNC) was formed in 1820 by a merger of the Lehigh Coal Company and the Lehigh Navigation Company. amzn_assoc_asins = "0899332803,B00008VSET,1612435270,1494964414,0977132986"; Raregoldnuggets.com participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. After the boom, the industry began a steady decline that continues to the present day. This prompted the establishment of the Pithole town. Brandy Camp, Pennsylvania. Room-and-pillar mines have been active in Pennsylvania's bituminous coalfields since the late-1700s. The Laquin ghost town is located in Franklin Township in Bradford County. Blough, Pennsylvania. Bituminous coal was first mined in Pennsylvania at "Coal Hill" (Mount Washington), just across … The town grew rapidly and had both the upper and the lower sections. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; The town grew rapidly reaching a population of several hundred. Indiana County, Windber Field, Map of mines. Today the site of the Byrnesville is located in the Conyngham Township between Ashland and Centralia. Selections from the Steidle Collection of Earth and Mineral Sciences Museum and Art Gallery, The Pennsylvania State University. Pennsylvania’s rich coal mining history dates back centuries to the late 1700s and boomed between 1870 and 1930. A company town in southwestern Pennsylvania, circa 1900. He built a sawmill and employed several hundred people. The company went out of business in 1965. By using this site you consent to the use of these cookies by various third-party partners such as Google and other advertisers. The town of Centralia can trace its origin to 1842 when the Locust Mountain Coal and Iron Company bought the land with the aim of mining its coal deposit. The Company’s mining Engineer Alexander Rae immediately set out planning a town by laying outs lots and streets for a settlement. Pennsylvania, U.S., Death Certificates, 1906-1968, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records, 1669-2013, Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor – National Canal Museum. The town was briefly revived with the establishment of the CCC camp from 1933 to 1940 but soon after the last resident left and it became a ghost town. Boston Run, Pennsylvania. The town was established in the 1820s following the construction of the canal on two locks on land acquired from John Frick along the Schuylkill River, hence the name Frick’s Locks. Brenizer, Pennsylvania. This laid the ground for eviction of the residents due to the dangers of the fires. Efforts to preserve the town began in the 1990s and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Anthracite coal is a natural mineral with a high carbon and energy content that gives off light and heat (produced energy) when burned, making it useful as a fuel. B. Baggaley, Pennsylvania. Abandoned coke ovens and larry cars on the track above, western PA, circa 2000.... Annie Toth, Midwife License, July 1, 1929. The other coal mines opened in the area included the Continental Mine opened in 1863, the Centralia Mine opened in 1862, and the Hazeldell Colliery Mine opened in 1960. Although the last structure was destroyed in the town is still quite interesting to visitors. Bobtown, Pennsylvania. Outline map of the Connellsville Coke Region, showing Railroads, Furnaces, and Coke Works, 1882. At its peak, the town had a hotel, a school, a depot, town buildings, two churches, mills, several stores, a railroad station, many homes and several other businesses. Company Store employees, Footedale, 1948. "Straight rows of double houses placed close together, painted all a dull and ugly red, each house exactly like its neighbors, small back yards cluttered with sheds and privies, houses and yards showered with smoke and dust from the … Visitors coming through Pennsylvania Route 61 can see some of the remaining structures of this Pennsylvania ghost town. amzn_assoc_ead = "0"; At its peak, the town had several hundred residents and a school, a post office, a boarding house, churches, general stores and several other businesses. When the forests were all cut down and the mills were empty the town’s destiny was sealed. The town eventually became a victim of the nearby Centralia mine fires in the 1990s when the last residents were forced to leave and the last buildings destroyed. This forced a number of mine workers to leave the town in search of employment elsewhere. Now you can find them in this collection. By the 1930s Laquin was already a ghost town. amzn_assoc_asins = "0811734110,0395979145,1519654871,0801484677,1617734470"; Masten is located in the Cascade and McNett Townships of Lycoming County. Later the Pennsylvania Schuylkill Valley Railroad was built to the town and a rail station established there. Today most of the structures are gone although a few homes still stand. Learn more. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Join the Ancestry World Archives Project, a collaborative effort involving thousands of people around the world keying digital records to make them free for everyone. Cambria County, Blacklick Field, Map of Coal towns. amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks"; This gave birth to a mining town known as Barclay. The early inhabitants of the town were Irish Catholics with most of them working in the coal mines. At its peak, the town had a post office, a railroad station, a school house, churches, boarding houses, general stores and several other businesses. Laquin grew rapidly reaching a population of about 2000 residents. al. Mining continued in the Centralia coal mines until the mid-1960s when most companies closed down their mines for the last time. amzn_assoc_ead = "0"; Iron and Steel Manufacturing in Pennsylvania, 1860, 1900, 1941. Collier, Pennsylvania, looking south along one of its streets, July 23, 1912. amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks"; The site of the town was acquired by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in 1961. For transportation, the town relied on the Mine Run Railroad built in 1854. Today the site of the Pennsylvania ghost town site of Barclay is located in the Franklin Township of Bradford County. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; Operations of the company included navigation improvements on the Lehigh River and railway and canal construction, as well as exploitation of the Lehigh anthracite fields.