The Pecten seam was discovered at Grosmont during the making of a cutting for the Whitby and Pickering Railway and the newly formed Whitby Stone Company sent a cargo of ironstone to the Birtley Iron Company in 1836. The works were managed by Thomas Morton, who improved, and patented, the refining and puddling of iron. This evil is only beginning to be felt; it being certain, from the present high price and great demand for cast iron, as well as from the peculiar advantages attending many situations in Scotland, that twenty additional blast furnaces will be erected in Scotland within the space of ten years from present date, requiring a supply of 2,048 colliers and miners.
... Dr Callender was awarded a Kodak Bursary so that a “comprehensive documentation could be made of the ancient lead mining industry in Scotland”. It is sometimes called Clippens Square. A description of Coatbridge is given in a book on the industries of Scotland by Bremner in 1869: "Though Coatbridge is a most interesting seat of industry, it is anything but beautiful. Only two large works in Scotland adopted the process later, as a way of increasing the market for the output of their blast furnaces. However, none of these furnaces survived after 1737, one cause being the inferior quality of the iron produced. Reopened in 1907. The works were taken over by William Beardmore & Co in 1906 and production peaked during WW1 when 3000 people were employed.
Clyde Iron remained owned by the Caddells of Carron until 1810, when it was purchased by Colin Dunlop, who at the time was working the coals in the district of Carmyle. As the mines became exhausted the population began to decline - for example to 699 (1891).
Now they shoot far upward, and breaking short off, expire among the smoke; again spreading outward, they curl over the lips of the furnace, and dart through the doorways, as if determined to annihilate the bounds within which they are confined; then they sink low into the crater, and come forth with renewed strength in the shape of great tongues of fire, which sway backward and forward, as if seeking with a fierce eagerness something to devour". The river Tees was nicknamed the ‘steel river’. Mines on monastic estates, such as Carriden and Preston, are mentioned in early charters. A new 3 high, electrically driven, plate mill was installed at Clydebridge in 1921-1922 to meet the expected demand for shipbuilding. Abandoned 11/11/1886. Other remains from this period are found in Bilsdale, Bransdale, Rosedale and near Furnace House in Fryup Dale.