Harriet smiled at what she thought was an understatement. And that the band does. Musician. But this month that’s just what happened. By TOM PRIDDY Reprinted from The Greenville News-Piedmont, July 22, 1979 WESTBURY, N.Y. - Tommy… On this particular tour they would sell out at Nassau (where Tommy would perform in a brand new hat — “I had to go all the way to Manhattan to the Stetson dealer”) Springfield, Mass., and New Haven. They all wound up together again at a club called The Ruins in Spartanburg after the service, and one night after a McCorkle-Riddle band played on stage the deal was closed to start the Marshall Tucker Band. “It’s good to have them all together to sit down at 1 o’clock for a big meal. McConnell prefers “rubbing elbows.”. Change ), Peter Buck discusses Columbia, success and the future. They were used to sleeping on the floors and struggling to find leg room. Toy and Tommy did a stretch in the Marines after that (“A family tradition,” says McConnell), McCorkle went into the Navy and Gray the Army. We grew up here, and that’s what’s great about Spartanburg. Toy Talmadge Caldwell Jr. (November 13, 1947 – February 25, 1993) was the lead guitarist and main songwriter of the 1970s Southern Rock group The Marshall Tucker Band. Frank was headed out of their lives at about 30 miles an hour. Tommy and Toy grimaced a little, shook their heads and never missed a lick. ( Log Out /  “The bus keeps you from burning yourself out, trying to keep up with airplane schedules,” says Toy, who can often be found sacked out in a bunk as the bus takes off. He began writing in the late 1960s and wrote a pop music column for the Clemson Tiger that he called "Witnosh." There are plenty of closet cowboys on Long Island — and in the rest of the Northeast — and the Marshall Tucker Band has every one of them slap dang in the palms of their hands. Caldwell died on April 28, 1980, after lingering in critical condition at Spartanburg General Hospital for almost a week. [1] He was the younger brother of bandmate and band co-founder, Toy Caldwell. And Paul Riddle, the drummer, is a “raquetball nut” who also jogs on days he isn’t playing. What would Caldwell do without a hat? And Warners is making a “very major major commitment” to support the band, says Gross. Tommy was philosophical. Working on the Capricorn label somehow has gotten them pegged as another Southern boogie band, a tag that may be limiting their chances for hit records. The first time the Marshall Tucker Band cruised into New York City to play a concert they were riding in a brown Dodge van. Another brother, Tim Caldwell, also died in a traffic accident one month before Tommy, on March 28, 1980, at age 25.[2][3][4]. It will enhance any encyclopedic page you visit with the magic of the WIKI 2 technology. (Photo by Tom Priddy) This story was first published in print on July 22, 1979. 30. Thomas Michael "Tommy" Caldwell was the bassist and original frontman for The Marshall Tucker Band between 1973 and 1980. Reprints of Tom Priddy's columns from the 1970s (and a few from the 1980s). Their big high school group was the Toy Factory, which included Toy and Tommy, George McCorkle, Doug Gray and a couple of other guys. “Trust me,” Gross says, “you’ll be impressed. She’s wearing a white warmup jacket with the Marshall Tucker logo hand embroidered on the back. He had been suffering from a bronchial condition that caused breathing problems. ( Log Out /  Concerts by the Marshall Tucker Band have been getting great reviews for years. Toy Caldwell, lead guitarist, raises Arabian horses on his farm. Thanks partially to the boost from that single, the “Carolina Dreams” album sold a million copies. Caldwell has seen these crowds a thousand times before. “We’ve all known each other since about the 10th grade of high school,” says Toy, “about 11 or 12 years. The Marshall Tucker Band was formed in the cotton mill town of Spartanburg, South Carolina in 1972, when The Toy Factory, a band that soon became the best loved group in Upstate South Carolina, shifted personal, and added Paul T. Riddle on drums and Toy Caldwell’s brother Tommy Caldwell on bass. Burnett estimated Caldwell died between 3:45 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. He also enjoys deer hunting. Burnett used the toxicology report and autopsy results to determine the cause of death. “I’ll give you a hundred-dollar bill for that hat,” said Frank. It’s the tour this summer that everyone’s talking about. © Gannett Co., Inc. 2020. Born in Spartanburg, South Carolina, he was a guitar player and founding member of the Southern rock group the Marshall Tucker Band. Now imagine that’s not good enough and that you’ve already ordered its replacement. Now imagine two of them. “You don’t know how much this hat means to me,” he said as they squinted in the dim light, trying to find a place for their John Henrys. He continued the column for The Greenville News and The (Columbia) State. The 45-year-old Spartanburg native had been suffering from congestion and a cough, but Burnett requested toxicology tests from the State Law Enforcement Division after an autopsy failed to show the cause of death. The performance is captured on the 2006 release, Live on Long Island. “It’s been a lifesaver,” says McConnell. "You won't find me in another band when this one's over," Tommy said after the release of the aptly titled Together Forever. On the other end of the phone is Kal Rudman, owner of the Friday Morning Quarterback, one of the nation’s big radio tipsheets. They don’t think of us as any different.”. “They’re nice people, basically,” says Carol, explaining the band’s appeal to two suburban Philadelphians.